Kick boredom to the curb with these 50 indoor activities for kids! If you have young children, you know that staying indoors can be challenging. Being stuck in the house tends to breed what all parents dread most…BOREDOM! Followed by a lot of whining, mischief, fighting with other siblings, and way too much screentime.
The problem is that coming up with fun, ideas on the fly can be difficult. So to help get your creative juices flowing, we’ve put together a list of our family’s favorite fun indoor activities for kids! Most of these involve little to no prep at all and will promote learning through play.
So no matter if the weather is gross or sickness is going around, we’ve got you covered with some incredibly fun activities to keep the whole family happy.
50 Incredibly Fun Indoor Activities for Kids!
- Raid the cupboard and bake something!
- Make slime. Check out this simple recipe by The Purposeful Nest!
- Play a round of “Lava!” Basic Instructions: Lay down pillows on the floor. Make sure there are gaps between pillows. Pretend that the floor is lava and the pillows are rocks.
- Play cards and/or board games.
- Look through old family photos and reminisce.
- Do some improv. Check out KidsActivities.net for some great ideas!
- Watch old family movies.
- Tell ghost stories.
- Build a fort.
- Do some science experiments.
- Write a story together.
- Act out parts of your favorite books.
- Get some family exercise.
- Make cards for loved ones.
- Have a dance party!
- Grab some blocks and build the “tallest tower in the world!”
- Play with puzzles (the bigger, the better)!
- Build an obstacle course.
- Put on a shadow puppet show.
- Draw self-portraits.
- Have fun with homemade face paint!
- Get out old clothes and play dress up.
- Have a tea party.
- Write a screenplay and make a homemade movie on your phone. If you have an iPhone, check out iMovie on your device for fun editing themes!
- Play Hide & Go Seek.
- Play 20 Questions.
- Plan a vacation.
- Go on an indoor scavenger hunt.
- Go camping indoors!
- Play charades.
- Have a Lip Sync Battle!
- Have a Paper Airplane Competition.
- Play “hot potato.”
- Create a time capsule.
- Have a water fight!
- Play musical chairs.
- Have a sack race.
- Have a picnic.
- Make homemade popsicles.
- Play “Simon Says.”
- Play freeze tag.
- Do some scrapbooking.
- Do your own version of the Olympics.
- Paint rocks.
- Rearrange the furniture in the house.
- Create a “Thankful jar.”
- Create something out of old boxes.
- Play “red light, green light.”
- Make a birdfeeder.
- Play balloon volleyball.
Now that you’ve got an arsenal of ideas, get to it, and have FUN!
What are some of YOUR favorite indoor activities for kids? Share your ideas below!