Have you ever met someone and thought they’d be the poster child for, “How to Waste Money”? The fact is, most of us think we’re great at managing our own money! It’s never us that’s the problem, right?
Well, a lot of times we’re throwing money down the drain without even really knowing it. The biggest culprit to this is that the little things will add up over time. The small things matter when it comes to almost anything important in life!
Want to waste $5000 in one year? Just spend $13.70 every day on the little things and you’ve done it!
Let’s bring to light some bad money habits that people have without even realizing it.
How to Waste Money Without Even Knowing It
- Paying interest on credit cards
- Paying bank fees on a checking or savings account
- Throwing away products that aren’t fully used up
- Buying extended warranties
- Failing to weatherproof your house
- Buying cheaply made products instead of buying for quality
- Throwing away things that could be fixed
- Buying individually portioned convenience food
- Making more food than you can eat
- Failing to have a weekly meal plan
- Buying brand names over generic
- Shopping at the grocery store when you’re hungry
- Buying a coffee every day instead of making it at home
- Paying for cable
- Using disposable products like plastic cups, plates, and forks
- Buying K-Cups
- Paying for monthly subscriptions
- Buying bottled water
- Using dryer sheets instead of wool balls
- Impulse online purchases out of boredom or social media influence
- Buying cleaning products instead of making your own
- Having to own the latest gadgets
- Frequently going to the movie theater
- Paying for unused gym memberships
- Buying new books instead of gently used
- Spending money trying to win the lottery
There’s a lot more that we could say about how to waste money. But, the good news is that there are even more ways to NOT waste money! In addition to changing bad habits, be on guard. We live in a consumer society where marketers employ sneaky tactics to get you to spend way more than you need to. To arm yourself and protect your hard-earned cash, check out our article: 19 Retail Tricks That Make You Spend More Money.
In fact, this is the heart of our site! We want you to learn how to make every dollar count.