As a mom, a routine can easily turn into a rut, so to help you change things up, here’s a list of some of the best hobbies for moms!
A mom’s identity too often gets lost between total care for an infant, teaching the basics of life to a preschooler, and escorting preteens all across town. Let’s get the creative juices flowing with some ideas for moms to have something of their own!
Barriers to Starting a Hobby
Chances are that before you had kids, you had a hobby or two. Maybe you painted, went hiking, or loved playing the piano. But, like me, you’ve probably let some, if not all, of your hobbies go as your entered motherhood. There are at least 3 big barriers that stand in the way of picking up a hobby.
1. Not Enough Time
The biggest barrier is time. I get it! Life is busy. But, if you don’t have any margin whatsoever, you’re on a fast track toward burnout. The good news is that taking up a hobby doesn’t have to be extremely time-consuming. Just budgeting 15-45 minutes a day to do one of our hobbies for moms listed below is a great start. Think small, find creative ways to free up time, and go from there.
2. Too Expensive
When you start having kids you not only give up time, you give up money too. Kids are worth it, but giving up a good-paying career is a sacrifice. And, even if you work outside of the home and raise kids, you have the added expense of clothes, toys, car seats, childcare costs, and more. It really adds up!
Starting a hobby can feel like an extra expense that can just wait. Don’t let the money stand in your way. There are plenty of hobbies that are free or, at least, very cheap. Besides that, there are some hobbies that can help you save money or actually turn into a money-making side hustle!
3. Can’t Make it Perfect
Finally, perfection often stands in the way. We tell ourselves, “If I can’t give it my all, then why try at all?!” This one really hits home with me. I like to do everything to my highest ability. But sometimes good enough is just “good enough.” On top of that, it’s important to remember that a hobby isn’t about success or productivity, it’s about investing in yourself.
Why Do You Need a Hobby?
Having a hobby is useful for a lot of reasons. Your life consists of a lot of very practical tasks like cleaning, folding laundry, and paying bills. And while a hobby isn’t nearly as practical as those tasks, that doesn’t mean that it isn’t valuable!
1. To Keep Your Sanity
Having a hobby can be a great way to simply preserve your sanity. Being a mom is one of the toughest jobs in the world. It’s nonstop and incredibly demanding. Having a hobby breaks up the daily routine. Variety is the spice of life!
2. To Recover Your Identity
You’re a mom, but you’re not “just” a mom. Making room for a hobby is a great way to recover a fuller picture of your identity.
3. To Replenish Your Energy
Breaking the monotony and reminding yourself that you’re more than just a mom, will actually help you be a better mom overall. Making room for hobbies in your schedule will help you to replenish your strength, energy, and focus. As a result, you’ll have more to give to your family.
51 Inspiring Hobbies for Moms
- Learn calligraphy
- Play an instrument
- Take an art class
- Take up Origami
- Make homemade cards
- Enjoy coloring books for adults
- Learn how to craft with Paper mache
- Learn to coupon
- Perfect your budgeting skills
- Open a Robinhood account and start investing
- Study to become a Certified Financial Planner
- Personalize products with a Cricut machine
- Learn to make your own cleaning products
- Start an herb garden
- Learn more about essential oils
- Take up knitting, crocheting, or sewing
- Learn more about the art of soap making
- Grow your own garden
- Get out and go hiking
- Grab some books and take up bird watching
- Hit the open road and make traveling your hobby
- Enjoy life on the water with canoeing, kayaking, or jet-skiing
- Find some trails and go biking
- Train for a 5K
- Take a cooking class
- Become an expert cake decorator
- Learn how to can and pickle foods
- Start a Supper Club
- Declutter your home
- Simplify your wardrobe
- Renovate a room in your home
- Transfer old VHSs and CDs to digital streaming
- Create a yearly photo book for your family photos
Fun & Games Hobbies
- Become a master at Sodoku
- Enjoy some Crossword Puzzles
- Find some new Board Games to play
- Learn some fun Card Tricks
- Amaze people with some new juggling skills
- Work on a puzzle
- Start a blog
- Write a children’s book
- Start a novel
- Up your photo editing and learn how to use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom with free online tutorials
- Take a course on Udemy
- Learn to create beautiful graphics with Canva
- Start a new reading plan
- Learn a new language
- Start or join a Book Club
Giving Back Hobbies
- Volunteer in your community
- Foster dogs and cats from a local shelter
- Consider mentoring someone
Finding the time, energy, and money to focus on yourself isn’t always easy. But, we hope that this list of hobbies for moms has inspired you to make time for yourself.
If you have any hobbies that you think we should add to the list, let us know below! We’d love to hear from you.